Passports And Visas :

This is not a full list of travel documentation requirements for around the world. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have the right documents to be allowed to travel.

Identification on international flights

If you're travelling on an international flight, you’ll need a passport or an equivalent travel document that is valid for the full duration of your trip. Your children will also need their own passports, even infants under two years.

Some countries additionally require that the passport is valid for a minimum period beyond your trip, usually three or six months. Visit the IATA Travel Centre to check the passport validity requirements of your destination.

Identification on UK domestic flights

If you are flying solely within the UK, including Northern Ireland, you do not need a passport but we advise that you carry photographic identification with you when travelling, such as your passport or driving licence. This may be requested at certain points in your journey. Children under the age of 16 years do not require identification to travel within the UK.

Identification on flights between the UK and Republic of Ireland

If you are a citizen of the UK or Republic of Ireland who was born in that country you do not need a passport to travel between the two countries but you do require some form of photographic identification, such as a driving licence.

All other travellers require a valid passport to travel between the two countries.

Obtaining a passport

Processing times for passports vary but it may take six weeks or longer to receive a passport after applying, so we advise that you wait until your passport has arrived before making a booking. Many countries offer fast-track applications where required.

If you need a passport or need to renew an existing one you can apply directly to your nation’s passport office. In the UK, that’s the UK passport service.

If you’d like help with your application, British Airways has partnered with VisaCentral, a company that will do all of the hard work for you. You’ll get a 30% discount on VisaCentral’s service fees as a British Airways customer.

Get a passport through VisaCentral

Depending on your nationality and the purpose of your journey, you may need a visa or an equivalent form of authorisation for every country you enter as part of your journey — even if you are only connecting from one flight to another. This is in addition to a valid passport.

Do I need a visa?

For free, accurate and up-to-the-minute advice on visa requirements and certain types of entrance fees, visit the IATA Travel Centre. You’ll also be able to check passport and health requirements, as well as customs, currency and airport information for your destination:

If you need a visa for your journey, you can apply directly with the embassy or high commission of the country you want to travel to — visit their website or local consulate to learn more about the process.

Help with your visa application

We have partnered with VisaCentral who can do all of the hard work for you:

  • safe, secure and easy way to obtain your visa
  • save time — VisaCentral will stand in line at the embassy or consulate on your behalf
  • get a 30% discount on handling fees as a British Airways customer

Get a visa through VisaCentral

Visas for China

If you're travelling to China, you'll need to check what type of visa you require. Transit visas are available if you are staying for less than 144 hours.

If you have a British passport, the GOV.UK website shows what types of are available when travelling to or through China.

Find out more about visa requirements for China (British passport holders only)

If you have a passport from any other country, please ensure you check with your nearest Chinese Embassy.

e-Tourist Visa for India

If you are travelling to India, you may be able to obtain an eTourist Visa online, just four days before you travel. The visa will be valid for 30 days and you will need to present a printed copy when you check in to be able to travel.

Find out more and apply for India e-Tourist Visa

Visa restrictions for Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

If you are a pilgrim

You must enter the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) through Jeddah with a valid Hajj visa during the following pilgrimage period, or on an Umrah pilgrimage visa outside this period:

  • London Heathrow to Jeddah (BA133) from 24 July to 25 August 2017 inclusive
  • Jeddah to London Heathrow (BA132) from 6 September to 5 October 2017 inclusive

You cannot:

  • travel for Hajj using an Umrah visa
  • travel for Umrah using a Hajj visa
  • enter, transfer or transit through Riyadh
  • travel outside of the official pilgrimage dates determined by the Saudi authorities each year

If you are travelling from the UK, we recommend to book through our specialist partner Masterfare who can arrange your flight and Hajj/Umrah visa through a KSA Ministry of Hajj approved agent.

If you are travelling from another country, or you book on, it is your responsibility to ensure you get the correct pilgrimage visa from a KSA Ministry of Hajj approved Hajj or Umrah agent.

If you do not have the correct documentation, or have booked to travel outside the official pilgrimage dates, you will not be allowed to travel or be able to get a refund.

If you are not a pilgrim

  • If you are not Muslim, you can enter Jeddah or Riyadh at any time using a business or visit visa.
  • If you are Muslim, are using a business or visit visa during Hajj, or are travelling in the 6-week period up to and including Hajj, you must enter KSA through Riyadh.
  • If you are Muslim with a business or visit visa, you will need a Hajj visa to travel on flight BA133 between 24 July and 30 August 2017 inclusive.

Please note

•The above restrictions do not apply to residents or citizens of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

•KSA visa restrictions change at short notice. Please check the IATA Travel Centre before you book.

Contact us for more information